Feb 11, 2015

PSYC Alumnus Monica Kearney living the Ph.D. student lifestyle in Maryland's Counseling Psychology program!

Monica Kearney earned her BA in Psychology and Family Science from the University of Maryland in May 2013. She is in her 2nd year as a Ph.D. student in the Counseling Psychology program here at the University of Maryland. The PSYC blog interviewed Monica to learn about her experience applying to Ph.D. programs.


*What factors influenced your decision to pursue a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology?
I knew I wanted a career as a therapist, and after doing some research, found out I would need an advanced degree. As an undergraduate student, I was involved in various activities on and off of campus, and realized I would want diverse tasks in my career as well. After doing even more research, I knew that I would have the most career options available to me if I pursued a Ph.D. rather than a Master's Degree (not to mention some Ph.D. programs fund their students. Hello virtually free education!). I began to look into the various programs out there (i.e., clinical psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, etc.) and determined Counseling Psychology was the perfect fit for me due to the multicultural and social justice focus of the program.

*How did your undergraduate psychology experience at Maryland (or undergraduate experience in general) prepare you for Graduate School?
My undergraduate experience at UMD prepared me for graduate school in a number of ways. First, I met some amazing faculty who took me under their wings and really helped me develop as a researcher and scholar. Second, I love that the Psychology major at UMD allows you to tailor your experience by allowing students to choose which classes to take. I was able to really get a good feel for the basics of what I would be studying in graduate school. Finally, I was involved in various activities on campus, from different research labs, to working as the Undergraduate Program Manager in the Office of Undergraduate Studies, to numerous honor societies, to volunteering off campus and more. Having so many opportunities to be involved on and off campus allowed me to experience what it is like to have many different roles and be so busy! As a graduate student, you are incredibly busy with classes, personal research, team research projects, teaching/ being a teaching assistant or graduate assistant, and seeing clients (specific to counseling psychology). I was happy that I was basically prepared for the chaos!

*Can you discuss your experience applying to Ph.D. programs? What surprised you? What was particularly challenging about the process?
Applying to doctoral programs is no joke! The best way I can describe it is "it's like taking another 3 credit course on top of the classes you are already taking." Between researching programs, researching the professors in each program, and tailoring applications to each program, the time spent on applications definitely adds up. I would say the time commitment definitely surprised me. I was also surprised by the interview process. When other people told me I would be able to tell if the program was the correct "fit" for me, I did not really understand what they meant. However, after going on a few interviews and talking with the students at each program, the programs you can actually picture spending 5-6 years of your life completing become crystal clear. Seriously, talk to other students and trust your instincts!

The most challenging part for me was selling myself and my experiences, and making it clear what I could bring to the program. It is not enough to be a stellar student, most people applying are qualified in one way or another. You must be comfortable telling the faculty why you are so spectacular and would make a great addition to the program. It can be challenging, if you are not used to bragging about yourself. This is one of the only times in life that it is completely acceptable and actually expected. Don't be shy!

*What tips might you provide current undergraduate PSYC majors who are looking to apply to Counseling Psychology Ph.D. programs?
Diversify your experiences. Make sure you are involved in research, teaching (as an undergraduate TA), and some type of helping work (e.g. peer counseling). Also, if you could complete an undergraduate thesis, that will definitely set you apart, while giving you a personal look at how to conduct research. Finally, talk to students already in the program to which you are applying. Ask them about their experiences thus far, what they love about their program, what the program is lacking, and how well they are able to balance being a student with having a life. All these factors are so important and could really influence the programs to which you decide to apply.

Submit Your Blog Post Request Here

If you have an announcement or opportunity you would like to post on the PSYC E-News Blog please complete the PSYC Blogpost Request Form